- Why are you doing this study?
- Why do you want to study me or people like me? Who else is being studied?
- What do you want to get out of this study?
- What will you do with the results?
- Have you or others done this type of study ever before? Around here?
- What did you learn?
2. Who put this study together?
- Who is running or in charge of this study?
- Whose idea was this study?
- How were people like me part of putting it together?
- Who are the researchers? Are they doctors or scientists? Who do they work for?
- Have they done studies like this before?
- Is the government part of this study? Who else is a part of this study?
- Who is paying for this study?
- Who will make money from the results of this study?
3. How can people like me share their ideas as you do this study?
- How will the study be explained in my community?
- Who of people like me will look at this study before it starts?
- Who of people like me are you talking to as you do this study?
- A Community Advisory Board?
- Who from the study can I go to with ideas, questions, or complaints?
- How will people like me find out about how the study is going?
4. Who is going to be in this study?
- What kinds of people are you looking for? Why?
- Are you trying to get minorities in this study?
- Are you including people less than 18 years old?
- How are you finding people for this study?
- Is transportation and/or daycare provided for people in this study?
- Do I need to sign to participate?
- Will you answer all of my questions before I sign the consent form?
- Can I quit the study after signing the consent form?
- If I quit the study, will anything happen to me?
5. What will I get out of this study?
- What are the benefits?
- Is payment involved? How will I be paid?
- Will I get free health care or other services if I participate? For how long?
- Will I get general health care and/or psychological care if I participate?
- For how long?
6. How will I be protected from harm?
- Do I stand a chance of being harmed in this study? In the future?
- Does the study protect me from all types of harm?
- If I get harmed, who will take care of me? Who is responsible?
- If I get harmed in any way, will I get all needed treatment?
- Who pays for treatment?
7. How will my privacy be protected?
- Who is going to see the information I give?
- Will my name be used with the information?
- What happens to the information I gave if I quit the study?
- Is there a written guarantee of privacy?
8. What do I have to do in this study?
- When did you start this study? How long will it last?
- How much of this study have you already done?
- Have there been any problems so far?
- Will I get treated the same as everyone else?
- What kinds of different treatments are offered in this study?
- Is there a real and a fake treatment?
9. What will be left behind after the study is over?
- What will happen to the information people give? How will it be kept?
- What are you going to do with the results of the study?
- How will the public learn about the results?
- Will results be in places where the public can see them?
- Are you going to send me a copy of the results? When?
- What other studies are you planning to do here?
Adapted from information prepared by:
U.S. National Library of Medicine
8600 Rockville Pike
Bethesda, MD 29894
National Institutes of Health
Last Reviewed: July 1, 2003
Evaluated and endorsed by: