Diet and Nutrition

Bile enters the stomach

07/13/1998

Question:

Dear Dr., My mom is suffering 'bile reflux' (Bile enters stomach). The doctors let her take medicine to neutralize the bile in the stomach. But since she began to take the medicine, she had very loose bowel (seven or eight times a day). The doctor told her that it was the side effect of the neutralization medicine and she had to stop taking that medicine. But without the neutralization medicine, she can not eat because of severe pain in the stomach. She had been seen by many doctors. But it seems that no one can give her a really good suggestion at this stage. One doctor even told her that "You might have to live like this for the rest of your life". My mom is 52 years old. She lost about 20 pounds in the last two months. I'm very worried about her. Since she is not in the States, I don't know what's the equivalent medicine she was taking. Does gallbladder removing help? (Mom said she is considering this). What kind of food is good for her situation? Any recommendation is appreciated. Anxious Daughter

Answer:

Dear Anxious Daughter, Unfortunately, it is difficult to know how to be of help to your mother. By your description, I am not sure what your mother's exact health problem is. Even if you learn your mother's condition, if she has an ulcer or a gallbladder problem, I don't think it likely that any dietary therapy will significantly relieve her problems without medical or possibly even surgical treatment. Acid reflux is a condition in which acid from the stomach enters the esophagus. Because the acid is very destructive to most tissues, it can cause heartburn, chest pain and a number of other symptoms. Acid reflux can be a condition that improves with changes in diet and eating habits. Acid reflux, however, rarely results in weight loss unless a serious complication has developed.

I invite you to visit earlier NetWellness questions in this section on Gallstones and Diet and Diet and GERD. Maybe they will be of help to you. Good Luck.

Go to the Diet and Nutrition health topic, where you can:

Jill Foster, MD
Formerly, Assistant Professor