Osteoporosis

Bone Density Readings

11/05/1999

Question:

I am a 46 year old female with osteoporosis. I am 5 ft and weight about 103 and have had 3 children. My last bone density reading was 2.54 sd below peak for my hip and a little better for my spine. Is this an average amount of bone loss for someone my age and does the loss stop at any point? Is 2.54 below okay or is it something I should be focus on? My doctor said there was nothing he could for me until I reached menopause except advice my to take calcium an after menopause then the estrogen would help. Well, my concern is that I may not reached menopause for another couple years and I do not want to compromise my bones. Any input would be useful. Thank You

Answer:

In general -2.5 SD below peak bone density for young women is considered osteoporosis. That is low for a woman of your age. Your build is small and that may contribute to the low density, but I would also recommend ruling out other causes of osteoporosis. In the meanwhile eat healthy foods, get adequate amounts of calcium and vitamin D, and consider a wieght-bearing exercise program.

Go to the Osteoporosis health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology