Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder

Protein Supplements, Piracetam and Dr Whitake

12/08/1999

Question:

Is there any reason to think that the protein supplements GABA, glutamine, and glycine OR piracetum could help with ADD? Would these supplements be safe to give to a child?

Do you know anything about Dr Julian Whitaker who publishes the "Health and Healing newsletter? Is he a "quack?"

Answer:

Hello: With regard to the use of the supplements you mentioned, I am not prepared to offer any specific recommendation because of inadequate knowledge about those substances. I would add, as you probably already know, that they are not routinely used for ADD treatment. In addition, the use of such uncontrolled substances, particularly with children, may represent unknown risks. Concerning Julian Whitaker, I do not believe that he is considered a quack. In addition to the newsletter you mentioned, he heads a wellness clinic on the west coast that has been in operation for many years. He has written a number of books on health and alternative medicine approaches. My knowledge of his work suggests that he generally provides sound advise, although at times he seems a little over-enthusiastic about some approaches. I do not believe he has any special expertise concerning ADD. I hope this helps.

Go to the Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder health topic, where you can:

Robert Krikorian, PhD