Infertility

Progesterone supplement

01/09/2000

Question:

I will be 39 this month and have had 3 successful pregnancies and a tubal reversal done. Since the reversal I have been able to become pregnant and miscarried 6 times. The extensive testing has been inconclusive, the doctors can find no reason I can`t carry beyond 6 weeks. A specialist recommends taking progesterone suppositories at the time of ovulation to help with possible luteal phase deficiency, but my ob/gyn recommends the progesterone at the time of a confirmed pregnancy (the specialist feels thats too late.) Is is ok to take the suppositories at the time of ovulation, do you feel this may help?

Answer:

The issue you bring up is a hotly contested issue in the field of OB/GYN and there is little hard science behind it.

Either recommendation is fine. The only down side of starting progesterone at ovulation is if you start the progesterone too soon, you could inhibit ovulation. It is unlikely, but possible.

Go with your instincts with who to trust and good luck in your attempts.

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Arthur T Ollendorff, MD Arthur T Ollendorff, MD
Associate Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology