Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children)

Undescended testicle

02/11/2000

Question:

When my son was around 3 years old a doctor noticed his left testicle had not descended. He sent him to a urologist who said it could be pushed down and assured me it should be alright. Since then it has not been checked and no mentioned made. He is 14 and plays football. Does this fact increase his chances for cancer or any other problems later in life?

Answer:

Your son should be checked again to make sure the testicle has descended. An undescended testicle is at a slightly higher risk of developing into a cancer and there is a slightly increased chance of difficulty having children. Boys in whom the testicle can easily be pushed down into the scrotum have what is known as a retractile testicle. These usually come down on their own and do not have any long term problems. It would be prudent for your son to be examined to make sure the testicle has descended.

Go to the Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children) health topic, where you can:

Rama   Jayanthi, MD Rama Jayanthi, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Urology