Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Smoking and Tobacco

Interstitial Granulomatous Pneumonitis

11/16/1997

Question:

A friend of mine who is a non-smoker has recently been diagnosed with Interstitial Granulomatous Pneumonitis. Could you please tell me what this is, how you get it, and what kind of treatment is usually used? Thank You!

Answer:

Interstitial granulomatous pneumonitis is a condition that may be caused by a variety of conditions including infections, toxins, and the body's own immune system. There is no available data on possible toxic effects of tobacco smoke causing granulomas. Depending on the cause of interstitial granulomatous pneumonitis, there can be an 80% spontaneous remission rate. The remaining 20% will commonly need to be treated with other modalities such as oral steroids. Your friend should discuss the possible cause of his/her condition with his/her physician and decide on an appropriate treatment plan.

For more information:

Go to the Smoking and Tobacco health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Margaret C Sweeney, MD
Formerly, Associate Professor of Clinical Family Medicine
College of Medicine
University of Cincinnati