Infertility

Situs inversus and infertility with women.

05/04/2000

Question:

I have situs inversus. I have been told by some doctors that I will not be able to conceive a child naturally, while other doctors have told me that I will. What can you tell me? There is some information on men having problems with sterility and situs inversus, but I was wondering about the woman`s side of it.

Answer:

There has been a great interest in men with situs inversus and infertility because of an association with Kartagener`s Syndrome. In this syndrome small structures called cilia do not function normally. Cilia help clear bacteria from your throat and aid in sperm transport.

Situs inversus is not generally considered a cause of infertility in women unless Kartagener`s Syndrome is present. In theory, abnormal cilia in women could cause an egg not to travel through the fallopian tube. This would be very rare, however.

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Arthur T Ollendorff, MD Arthur T Ollendorff, MD
Associate Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology