Inherited Disorders and Birth Defects

NEUROFIBROMATOSIS AND SOCIAL SECURITY.

05/15/2000

Question:

I am a 40 year old woman, i have NEUROFIBROMATOSIS turmors all over my body, i have one on the arch of my left foot ,that grows to be the size of a grapefruite, question, how come SOCIAL SECURITY told me it wasnt`t a disability,and won`t approve my S.S. I DISABILITY?

Answer:

I do not know why Social Security has disapproved your application for disability. I would suggest that you speak to your doctor and see if he or she would be willing to write a letter explaining the extent of your problems. Because the symptoms and problems associated with neurofibromatosis can be variable and may not be the same for everyone, Social Security may not be aware of how disabling the disorder can be in some people. You might also wish to contact the National Neurofibromatosis Foundation at the website below to see if they can be of any assistance.

National Neurofibromatosis Foundation

Go to the Inherited Disorders and Birth Defects health topic, where you can:

Anne   Matthews, RN, PhD Anne Matthews, RN, PhD
Associate Professor of Genetics