Urinary Tract Cancers

Recurrence rate of superficial CA of Bladder

05/24/2000

Question:

When a superficial polyp is removed (TUR)from the urinary bladder and it turns out to be a low grade/low stage CA, and the Doc says nothing more needs to be done outside of monitoring it with periodic cystoscopies -- 1)what are the chances of recurrence; and is it more likely to return there or could it pop up elsewhere, as a result of this small polyp (caught early while tx kidney stones)? 2) what is the std practice for how often I should return for cystos and can it be monitored interspersed with NMP (?) -- checking urine for cancer cells? What are the genarally accepted practices here according to recent literature. Thanks for sharing the usual practice guidelines in this type of situation!

Answer:

Oftentimes, no further treatment is required but it is recognized that recurrence rates can approach 50%. For this reason patients are followed with periodic cystoscopies which can be a t 3 month intervals for 2 years followed by 6 month intervals for 2 years and then yearly. At time BCG bladder treatments are perfomed, but not usually for the first tumor.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Go to the Urinary Tract Cancers health topic, where you can:

Martin I Resnick, MD Martin I Resnick, MD
Formerly, Professor of Urology