Arthritis and Rheumatism

Facial arthritis?

06/16/2000

Question:

I`m not sure if this question should go under this topic, maybe you can point me in the right direction if not. I have deteriorating disks in my jaw due to having many jaw problems, I have had a mandibular resection, I also grind and clench my teeth, I do have a splint. While getting an MRI done of my jaw a bone spur was found in my upper right cheek. I guess my question is what could be causing my face aches. I get a lot of pressure in my face and I have seen an oral surgeon... besides all the above problems he said I could develope arthritis in my face, would arthritis cause for face to ache? and if so what can be done?

Answer:

There are a lot of different causes of facial pain. Arthritis involving the jaw can cause facial pain particularly in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. However without further information and review of your records it is impossible to say if your symptoms result from arthritis. I would suggest consultation with an oral-maxillary surgeon.

Go to the Arthritis and Rheumatism health topic, where you can:

Anne-Barbara Mongey, MD
Formerly, Director, Arthritis Clinic, Univerity Hospital