Diet and Nutrition

Yogurt for UTI prevention

06/26/2000

Question:

My Doctor told me to eat yogurt daily to help prevent UTI`s. Will freezing yogurt kill the active live culture in it? Thank you.

Answer:

Thanks for your question. Yes, freezing yogurt will kill off some of the active cultures, but not all of them. I do not know the exact percentage that survives freezing. And, not all yogurt contains active cultures, so be sure to look for it on the food label.

Another way to get active cultures in your diet is to drink milk which has lacto bacillus (active cultures) added to it. You will see it in the store as "AB added milk".

In addition, drinking plenty of water will also aid in preventing UTIs. Go for 8-10 glasses (8 oz) per day. Cranberry juice is also beneficial, though scientists have not discovered exactly why. Look for 100% cranberry juice (VS cranberry juice cocktail). Good Luck!

Go to the Diet and Nutrition health topic, where you can:

Lisa Cicciarello Andrews, MEd, RD, LD Lisa Cicciarello Andrews, MEd, RD, LD
Adjunct Faculty