Inherited Disorders and Birth Defects

The missing muscle

07/12/2000

Question:

i was born with my right pectoral muscle missing and part of my detoid muscle. i was told it was a conginital deffect and ther was a name for it but i havn;t been able to find any onformation.

Answer:

Without actually seeing the defect you describe, no one can make a specific diagnosis. However, there is a birth defect that usually includes missing the pectoral muscle on one side of the body that is called Poland sequence or Poland syndrome. There may also be webbing between the fingers or the fingers maybe slightly shorter on the side that the pectoral muscle is missing. It usually does not run in families and it not thought to be genetic.

To be sure of the diagnosis, as there could be other reasons for the defect you describe, you should talk to a geneticist. If you have not seen a geneticist, I would recommend that you talk to your doctor to ask for a referral or contact the National Society of Genetic Counselors at the website below to find a genetics center near you.

National Society of Genetic Counselors Resource Center

Go to the Inherited Disorders and Birth Defects health topic, where you can:

Anne   Matthews, RN, PhD Anne Matthews, RN, PhD
Associate Professor of Genetics