Unexplained nose bleeding

08/06/2000

Question:

Hello! Recently i had a nose bleed that was quite drastic i`d been under a lot of pressure the bleeding continued on and off for three days,during which i remained in hospital. I`ve had no reaccuring problems since about a month now, my blood pressure is not excessive, could this be a warning...of something more problematic?

Answer:

In answer to your question, generally no. You certainly need to keep your blood pressure under control, but most nose bleeds occur because of a small area of disruption of the nasal lining, which can bleed quite heavily. If the bleeding resumes, you should consider seeing an otolaryngologist or ear, nose, and throat doctor.

In the meantime it is usually helpful to use a little salt water spray in the nose to keep crusting down, since crusting tends to promote bleeding. Such sprays are available over the counter in most drug stores.

Allen M Seiden, MD Allen M Seiden, MD
Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Division of Rhinology and Sinus Disorders, Director of University Taste and Smell Center, Director of University Sinus and Allergy