Sinus infection and nose bleeds

08/09/2000

Question:

My question is for my husband. He has not seen a doctor but he thinks he has a sinus infection...(i.e. discolored mucus, sinus pressure and pain). I was alarmed to see that when he sneezes, ALOT of blood is coming out of his nose...enough to cover almost the whole tissue. When his nose runs, there is blood in it. It is not just a streak of blood, it is mostly blood. I have had sinus infections before and I know that your nose may bleed a little. I have never seen or heard of so much blood associated with a sinus infection though. Is this something that is not all that uncommon? I am just concerned for him. Thank you very much!

Answer:

While it is not unusual to have some blood coming form the nose during a sinus infection, given the large amount of blood he is noting, he should really see an ENT specialist for a complete intranasal examination. Other, more serious problem can often be associated with nasal bleeding and only by examining the insides of his nose carefully, can these be detected,

Good luck.

Thomas A Tami, MD Thomas A Tami, MD
Professor of Otolaryngology