High Blood Pressure

Blood pressure 140/90

08/16/2000

Question:

I am 49, male, weigh 105Kg and am 185cm. During a recent pre-employment medical, my blood pressure was recorded as 140 over 90. The doctor indicated that everything was OK but that I should keep an I on my blood pressure. No further comment was offered. What are the implications of my blood pressure ?

Answer:

The current guidelines classify blood pressure for otherwise healthy people as follows: Normal: Below 140/90 Optimal: Below 130/85 Blood pressure in the range of 130-139/85-89 is considered high-normal.

You need 2 to 3 visits several weeks apart, with measurement of your blood pressure, to be diagnosed properly. Each visit should consist of 2 or more readings separated by about 2 minutes.

If your blood pressure is confirmed to be 140/90 or higher, you will need to institute life style changes. These include:

- Lose weight. Your body mass index is 30.9, placing you in the obese category. Your ideal weight is 86 kg or less. - Limit alcohol intake to two standard drinks per day. - Exercise 30 to 45 minutes per day most days of the week. - Reduce salt intake to 6 gm per day or less. - Eat a balanced diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol. - Don`t smoke.

Go to the High Blood Pressure health topic, where you can:

Max C Reif, MD Max C Reif, MD
Director of Hypertension Section