Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Children's Health

A question about carbon monoxide poisoning

08/21/2000

Question:

I had a question about Carbon monoxide. We just in the last week moved into this rental house. It has a gas stove. The first time I turned on the oven, my co meter read 40 ppm. And everytime I turn the stove on it shows at least 25 or more. It is this normal, and could this get worse or could it be harmful if I continue to use the stove and my kids are around it alot. I have 5 kids, and I am really worried about it. Please write back asap.

Answer:

A carbon dioxide monitor is an excellent safety apparatus for the house. Depending on the source of the presumed poisoning, you can either call the local gas company or the fire department for assistance. Whenever there is a question about a gas leak, the gas should be turned off, windows left open for ventilation, and a call placed to have someone assess the risk and source of the problem.

I recommend you call an emergency line for the gas company if the fire department cannot help you. The fire department is often more helpful in providing educational material for you to be on the lookout for in the future. They have programs for fire safety that is part of their mission to protect our communities.

For more information:

Go to the Children's Health health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Caroline Mueller, MD
Assistant Professor
College of Medicine
University of Cincinnati