Newborn and Infant Care

Potters syndrome

09/14/2000

Question:

I would like to ask what causes potters syndrome, and what is it,in 1979 i had a daughter with it but sadly she died at an hour old. The doctors did say that it happend mostly in girls. I have had 4 other children all very healthy all boys. Was there anything that i could have done to prevent it happening. Thanks

Answer:

Sorry for the delay in answering this question, but I was out of the country for three weeks.

Potter Syndrome is also know as bilateral renal agenesis, the absence of both kidneys which is incompatable with life. Renal agenesis occurs in 1 out of 100,000 births, with a male to female ratio of 2.5:1. Why the kidneys do not develop is unknown. It is thought that it has a multifocal cause. Renal agenesis is often associated with other abnormalities of the gastrointestinal and cardiac systems. Diagnosis can be made by ultrasound after 15 to 18 weeks gestation. Infants with renal agenesis are often stillborn or die shortly after birth from respiratory or renal problems.

Go to the Newborn and Infant Care health topic, where you can:

Tina   Weitkamp, RNC, MSN Tina Weitkamp, RNC, MSN
Associate Professor of Clinical Nursing