Infertility

Sperm agglutination and its effects

09/13/2000

Question:

I was found to have a sperm agglutination. Can you please tell about the cure regarding this matter? Does sperm agglutination have direct effect on male fertility? Please tell the causes of this kind of problem.

Answer:

Sperm agglutination is "clumping" of sperm in the ejaculate. It can be due to infection or antibodies that react with sperm.

The exact effect of sperm agglutination on infertilty is controversial. Not surprisingly, many authorities have suggested various treatments which have been effective.

There are many who advocate the use vitamin E and C to help decrease the sperm clumping. This is a low risk treatment and may help.

If you are experiencing infertility and this is the presumed cause, you should employ the help of an infertility specialist. They may recommend "sperm washing" and artificial insemination. Ultimately, advanced reproductive treatments can be used to ensure pregnancy.

I hope this helps and I am sorry it took so long to respond.

Go to the Infertility health topic, where you can:

Arthur T Ollendorff, MD Arthur T Ollendorff, MD
Associate Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology