Diet and Nutrition

LOW BULK DIET

09/26/2000

Question:

I NEED INFO ON A LOW BULK DIET. I WAS RECENTLY TOLD TO TAKE ONE ON. AS I HAVE A LAZY STOMACH. I HAVE AN IDEA OF WHAT I WOULD NEED TO DO BU T WOULD LIKE TO BE CLEARER ON IT.

THANK YOU

Answer:

Thanks for your question. A "low bulk" diet is typically a diet that is lower in fiber as fiber adds "bulk" to stool (making it easier to pass through the colon). Foods high in fiber tend to stay in your stomach longer, which can slow digestion time. These foods include whole grain breads and cereals (like oats or bran cereal), fresh fruit and vegetables and dried beans. However, these foods are GOOD for you, so please ask your doctor how limited your diet needs to be. You should not be avoiding these foods entirely.

In addition, foods high in fat also slow digestion. Limiting foods such as whole milk cheese and other whole milk dairy products, high fat meats, fried foods and high fat snack foods may be a healthier approach to a "lazy stomach."

I suggest you ask your doctor for a referral to a Registered Dietitian who can evaluate your medical history and current dietary habits. You can locate one through the American Dietetic Association website. Click on the link below. Good Luck!

American Dietetic Association

Go to the Diet and Nutrition health topic, where you can:

Lisa Cicciarello Andrews, MEd, RD, LD Lisa Cicciarello Andrews, MEd, RD, LD
Adjunct Faculty