Diabetes

What`s an IVGTT?

10/03/2000

Question:

What`s an IVGGT? I know it tests for insulin-resistance and diabetes, but could you give me a few more details, including what it stands for?

Answer:

IVGTT stands for "intravenous glucose tolerance test." It is a test in which glucose, the major simple sugar in the body, is given through an IV to test how well the body responds by releasing insulin into the blood and, in turn, how well the body responds to insulin. Sometimes the test is modified by giving glucose followed by either a drug that further increases insulin release or by actually giving insulin. The response to that insulin is then monitored by changes in the glucose and insulin concentrations in the blood and then analyzed using a computer program. The best known program was developed by Dr Richard Bergman at the University of Southern California and is called "The Minimal Model." Because type 2 diabetes results from a combination of limited insulin release in response to glucose and reduced tissue responsiveness to insulin, this test can give an idea of just how severe the alterations are in a given person. The method is often used to test for resistance to insulin and the ability to reduce insulin in people who have or are at risk for conditions besides diabetes, like high blood pressure or certain kinds of heart problems. The method can also be used to test how well a treatment improves insulin resistance or insulin secretion, both in people with or without diabetes. The test requires a lot of work and a lot of care to perform properly and is usually done only in a research setting.

Go to the Diabetes health topic, where you can:

Robert M Cohen, MD Robert M Cohen, MD
Professor of Clinical Medicine