Parkinson's Disease

What should we do?

10/09/2000

Question:

Dear Dr.

I am writing concerning my mother, she is 60 years old. For the past month she has stated that she has had the flu. Her symptoms have been loss of balance, shaking of her hand, hot one minute cold the next, memory loss, sometimes her face will turn blood red all at once. About 7yrs ago she had a blood clot on her brain but has went to a neurologist about 3mths ago and it was ok and that her blood pressure was high, which she has been treated for several years. I am concerned because when she went to her local doctor he said he didn`t know what the shaking was from and then he scheduled her with a neurologist in November and that was the middle of September.

Please let me know what we should do, I was researching and some of the signs sounded like Parkinson disease.

Thank you very much for your time.

Answer:

Some of the features are suggestive of parkinsonism. An evaluation by a neurologist is in order to assess whether the symptoms are indeed due to Parkinson`s disease or due to other causes like Parkinson`s plus syndromes.

Go to the Parkinson's Disease health topic, where you can:

Arif Dalvi, MD