Odor after sneezing

10/26/2000

Question:

Sometimes when I sneeze, I smell a very strong musty smell. The people around me can smell it too. It doesn`t happen with every sneeze. This has been happening for about 10 to 12 months nows. Is this something that I should medical attention? What is my problem?

Answer:

Since other people can detect this same musty smell, it may reflect some underlying infection in your nose or sinuses. A musty smell would suggest the possibility of a yeast infection. On the other hand, simply some dry crusting in the nose can sometimes pick up a little bacterial growth and develop a mild odor. Therefore, it may be worthwhile for you to consult a physician to see if there is any underlying problem.

Allen M Seiden, MD Allen M Seiden, MD
Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Division of Rhinology and Sinus Disorders, Director of University Taste and Smell Center, Director of University Sinus and Allergy