HIV and AIDS

Am I At Risk For HIV If I Already Have These Infections?

11/03/2000

Question:

I am a 20 year old female with molluscum contagiosom. The bumps first appeared about 5 months ago. I also have recurring bacterial vaginosis. I read that there is a correlation between these diseases and HIV positive patients. If I have these two diseases, is it likely that I have HIV?

Answer:

Bacterial vaginosis is an infection of the vagina caused by bacteria (germs). It is very common in women. In some studies of women who got HIV, bacterial vaginosis was a risk factor. That is, more women who got HIV had bacterial vaginosis than those who did not get HIV. However, just because a woman has bacterial vaginosis does not mean that she necessarily has HIV. I am not aware of a relationship between molluscum contagiosum and a higher chance of catching HIV. Persons with HIV infection sometimes have molluscum contagiosum.

It is not possible to tell you whether you have or don`t have HIV over the computer. The best advice is to see your doctor and determine if it makes sense to get HIV testing. I don`t think you should necessarily jump to the conclusion that you have HIV infection because you have molluscum contagiosum and bacterial vaginosis. The smart thing to do is have an HIV test. Also, be sure that a doctor checks the spots you are calling molluscum contagiosum as they could be another type of problem that you have mistaken for molluscum.

Go to the HIV and AIDS health topic, where you can:

Carl   Fichtenbaum, MD Carl Fichtenbaum, MD
Professor of Clinical Medicine