Digestive Disorders

Foul smelling belching

11/13/2000

Question:

for the past couple of day`s i have been belching approx. every 10 minutes and when i do i get a foul taste in my mouth that tastes like i just ate a bowl of cheerios. My wife say`s that it smells like rotten egg`s. I got out of the military about 6 months ago and had to have an upper and lower GI done while i was still in and was told that i have some ulcers. I was never given any medication and i am starting to get seriously bloody stools again.

Answer:

You didn`t mention why you needed to have an upper and lower GI done or whether these were x-rays (UGI series and barium enema) or endoscopy tests. I would be least concerned about the foul-smelling breath and more worried about the bloody stools and the possibility that you could have bleeding ulcers. I suggest an urgent visit to a physician, preferably to a gastroenterologist.

Go to the Digestive Disorders health topic, where you can:

John D Long, MD
Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine