Digestive Disorders

Sewer smelling belches,Why???

01/31/2001

Question:

My husband had gallbladder surgery last March. Since then at times, not all of the time, he will burp and it will smell like it came from the other end. This usually lasts for a day or so then stops. It is very uncomfortable for him and non the less embarrasing. A friend said he needs a enzyme.What do you think?

Answer:

This Website is not intended to provide a diagnosis especially without the opportunity to personally interview and examine the patient. However I can tell you that some patients after cholecystectomy experience a host of new symptoms to include abdominal pain, diarrhea, bloating, and reflux. Problems with stomach emptying and acid reflux may be a factor in the burping but I am not sure there is an obvious reason for the foul odor. If the symptoms are significant enough he probably should see his physician and have a formal evaluation of his stomach.

Go to the Digestive Disorders health topic, where you can:

John D Long, MD
Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine