Dental Hygiene

Ultrasonic Toothbrushes and Oral Hygiene

02/07/2001

Question:

I am using a SoniCare ultrasonic toothbrush tester that my dentist gave me for a trial run. It has a built-in timer that alerts me every 30 seconds to shift arches and it shuts off after 2 minutes. I think it is cleaning my non-bite surfaces, but my mouth doesn`t feel as fresh as when I was brushing with a manual toothbrush. Is this something I should be concerned about? Also, my bite surfaces aren`t getting as much attention with the sonic toothbrush as with the manual toothbrush. How much is enough? One of my teeth seems to be more sensitive to cold drinks since I`ve started using this device. Could I be causing my fillings to crack by using the ultrasonic toothbrush? Thanks for your help.

Answer:

The Sonicare is a good brush to use. If you are having trouble using the brush, take it to your dentist and have him/her watch you use it so you cannot hurt yourself. Using the brush will not cause cracks in the teeth. You may be using too much pressure against the tooth.

Go to the Dental Hygiene health topic, where you can:

Nancy K Nordstrom, MS, BS
Assistant Professor of Clinical Dental Hygiene