Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder

Prescribing Medication



I hope this is not a waste of your time.

I am a 41y, male, dignosed with ADHD while in the navy, at the age of 28. The Dr. from Yale University did this complete work up on me, prescribed Ritilan, then switched to Dexadrine 10mg spansels. Then I moved to Minnesota and was re-dignosed, re-prescribribed 10mg dex, spansels, moved again, re-re-dignosed, get the picture. Now I`m in Dayton, working on a two year school in photography, I think, I ran out Of Dexadrine, and attempted to get re-re-re- and deceided to use the VA system that supports veterans like me. Enough of that b.s., how can I get back on my medication, finish my schooling and get on with my life?


It sounds like you are quite frustrated! It is probably a good idea to send for copies of your past ADHD work-ups. If you write for your last one you may actually get the information on all of them---if the last clinicians sent for old records. Because the same medications that help persons with ADD/ADHD can hurt other individuals if they misuse and/or do not need them, physicians are appropriate to be very careful about diagnosis. However, old records of thorough workups that have led to appropriate diagnoses are generally highly regarded by all clinicians working with ADD. Your Veteran`s Administration (V.A.) Hospital Department of Psychiatry may respond well to those old records, as may your school if it is a large one with a student health and/or counseling facility. Best of luck to you!

For more information:

Go to the Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Susan Louisa Montauk, MD
Formerly Professor of Family Medicine
University of Cincinnati