Breast Cancer

Bruise on breast

03/08/2001

Question:

Hello, my wife recently had a large bruise appear on her breast just below her nipple. The bruise started out a yellowish color and has since turned to black. She does not recall hitting her breast or injuring it in any way. The only thing that she thinks it could possibly be is we have a small puppy that occasionally jumps on her chest. We are just concerned that this might be something more than a bruise. Should we be concerned about this and get it checked out?

thanks

Answer:

The bruise and color changes that you have described on your wife`s breast are not the usual symptoms of breast cancer. The common process of a bruise after a trauma is first the black and blue or purple appearance. As the blood in the tissue is absorbed by the body the area will look yellow with healing. Since this seems to be unusual, I think you both will be more at ease if she sees a physician to have it checked. Thank you for writing.

Go to the Breast Cancer health topic, where you can:

Janet   Trigg, RN, MSN, EdD Janet Trigg, RN, MSN, EdD