Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children)

Penis Size

03/29/2001

Question:

My 12-year old son`s penis is very small. It almost looks inverted. He is very overweight and I know this contributes to the appearance of "smallness." However, his penis was very small before he became overweight. I was told by his pediatrician when he was younger that his penis would get larger when he reached puberty, but that has not happened. Is there anything that can be done about this?

Answer:

True micropenis is very rare and more than likely your son`s penile size is normal. It is very common for a boy to have the appearance of a small penis if there is a lot of fat over the pubic bone. The penis then is buried within. Some boys even appear not to have a penis. Usually as the child goes through puberty the penis protrudes a bit more. If he is overweight however the problem may persist. There is a wide variation in what is considered normal and one would have to get a strict measurement of the stretched penile length to adequately determine the size. Very little can be done for this outside of weight reduction. Even with children with true micropenis, puberty is usually all that is required to get sufficient growth.

Go to the Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children) health topic, where you can:

Rama   Jayanthi, MD Rama Jayanthi, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Urology