Smoking and Tobacco

Substitute for smokes

04/09/2001

Question:

with the price of a pack of smokes over $4.00 I shurly need to quit. What should I do? I don`t think thumb sucking is going to work and I`m too old and it would look dumb. Is there some stress reduction thing I should be looking at?

Answer:

Yes - cost is certainly a good motivator to consider quitting cigarettes. If you smoke a pack a day at $4 - you are at nearly $1500 each year. In addition, you will have important benefits for your health. There are a number of things a person can do to improve their success at quitting cigarettes. A list of quitting tips is available on this website at http://www.netwellness.org/feature/dra/qt.cfm This describes a combination of managing stress and craving and use of medications specific for quitting smoking. If you compare the costs of these medications for the recommended 8 weeks to a lifetime of continued smoking - the benefits are evident.

Go to the Smoking and Tobacco health topic, where you can:

Karen L Ahijevych, PhD, RN, FAAN Karen L Ahijevych, PhD, RN, FAAN
Professor, College of Nursing
Professor, College of Public Health