Alternative to Flonase or nasonex

07/16/2001

Question:

I developped a sinus infection in the spring which was treated with biaxin. Since then my nose and right ear are always blocked. An ENT prescribed Flonase which I used for 3 days only because I found it dried my nasal passages and my eyes too too much. Another doctor prescribed nasonex which is basically the same as flonase. I don`t like the idea of cortisone or steroid. Is there a more natural alternative to these nasal sprays. I want to be able to breath, hear and smell normally again. Thank you.

Answer:

First of all, nasal steroid sprays are very safe. They can occasionally cause local discomfort, burning, bleeding, etc., but in general are very well tolerated.

Secondly, these sprays work only after prolonged use, so using one of these for only 3 or 4 days should not result in a good treatment response.

Finally, there are other sprays which might not cause discomfort. Ask your ENT doctor. These include, Nasacort AQ, Rhinocort Aqua.

Thomas A Tami, MD Thomas A Tami, MD
Professor of Otolaryngology