Lupus

Myasthenia and Lupus in combination

08/27/2001

Question:

I have been treated for SLE for 10 years, and have recently been diagnosed with Myasthenia Gravis..... finding it bewildering at the moment! Is the combination of both disorders likely to make either one or both more difficult to treat and comtrol. I also suffer from hypothyroidism and thyroid eye disease. What sort of outlook does this give me for the future ... I am female, 48 years of age, and caring for a terminally ill husband

Answer:

SLE and myasthenia gravis may occasionally coexist with the myasthenia gravis developing before the SLE in 75% of patients. Because it is a rare occurrence it is difficult to give a prognosis. Prognosis would also depend on the severity of the SLE and Myasthenia gravis and response to treatment. Some patients have a thymoma which when resected has a variable effect of the activity of the SLE. Thyroid disease has also been reported to occur more commonly in SLE patients.

Go to the Lupus health topic, where you can:

Anne-Barbara Mongey, MD
Formerly, Director, Arthritis Clinic, Univerity Hospital