Water sound in ear

08/29/2001

Question:

I am hearing something in my right ear. It sounds like when I have been swimming and got water in my ear. I have not been swimming for weeks. I will hear it if I push on my ear or turn my head quickly. Can you give me any possiblities as to what`s going on? Thanks

Answer:

The symptoms that you are describing raise several possibilities. It is possible that you may indeed have fluid in your ear (in the middle ear space deep to the eardrum). Alternatively, it is also possible that you may have some fluid in your external ear (ear canal). In either case, an examination by your physician should be able to identify which is the problem and direct treatment accordingly. As part of any ear evaluation, a routine hearing test should also be performed to rule out any other ear pathology and to make sure that there has not been any hearing loss.

Daniel   Choo, MD Daniel Choo, MD
Associate Professor and Director, Division of Otology/Neurotology