Erectile Dysfunction (ED)

Cold showers and exercise

09/11/2001

Question:

I am a 53 year old white male, in good physical condition. I have always been proud of my sexual prowess, especially the firmness of my erections and the length of time I could engage in intercourse without ejaculating until after my partner orgasmed. About two months ago I started having some trouble achieving and maintaining a total erection and my nocturnal erections were not as frequent or as firm. A short time prior to that, I`d started lifting weights. My exercises included several sets of squats and dead lifts. About that same time I started taking cold showers to cool down after the workouts and enjoyed them so much I continued the cold showers on the days I didn`t work out. Just this past Saturday morning while relaxing with my coffee and the newspaper I achieved a tremendous erection that lasted for 15-30 minutes. My girlfriend was there but she had just started her period the night before therefore we didn`t have intercourse. Do you think the workouts and or the cold showers could be contributing to the problem?

Answer:

There is always a possibility that there may be some type of reaction to the weight -lifting or showers, but it would be quite unusual.

Go to the Erectile Dysfunction (ED) health topic, where you can:

Allen D Seftel, MD Allen D Seftel, MD
Formerly, Professor of Urology