Infectious Diseases

High WBC in 3 year old of 35,000

12/12/2001

Question:

My 3 year old daughter today was not feeling well. for about the past month her appetite has decreased (but you know the way 3 year olds can be) anyway she got really lathargic today and said her tummy hurt. She had NO temp. but I brought her into the ER. they gave her fluids and she perked right up (she did throw up 1 time) but they were concerned because her white blood count was 35000. They took blood again and checked for bacteria and found none. they metioned test for lukemia :( . the Dr also said it could just be a virus but he did not sound convinced. what else can cause a WBC to be this high?? Can a virus do this??

Answer:

This question does not fall within the scope of my topic area. I have forwarded your question to a NetWellness Expert who I hope will be able to provide you with an answer. In one to two days, please look for an answer to your question in the NetWellness Expert topic area called Children`s Health.

Go to the Infectious Diseases health topic, where you can:

Pamposh   Kaul, MD Pamposh Kaul, MD