Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Smoking and Tobacco

Can dr help me



Can my dr.give medication to help me quite


Question: What medication would work best for me?

You have five choices of medications that are currently approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration:

A non-nicotine pill (bupropion SR). Nicotine gum. A nicotine inhaler. A nicotine nasal spray. Nicotine patch. The gum and patches are available at your local pharmacy, or you can ask your health care provider to write you a prescription for one of the other medications. The good news is that all five medications have been shown to be effective in helping smokers who are motivated to quit.

For more information:

Go to the Smoking and Tobacco health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Jerry   Friemoth, MD Jerry Friemoth, MD
Associate Professor
College of Medicine
University of Cincinnati