Exercise and Fitness

Loose skin due to child birth go away??

05/13/2002

Question:

Hello, I have given birth to two healthy boys. I am breastfeeding my youngest and have been working out and watching my diet for about 3 months. I have loose skin due to the stretching for birth mostly in the abdomen area lower and upper but mostly in lower. With exercise with this ever tighten back up. I am wroking out 6 days a week 3 days of cardio and 3 days of weights (5lbs) just to tone. I work out each time 30-45 minutes. I also do cruches the bicycle and all sorts. Will this ever go away, if I work at it. I dont really want to get plastic surgery but it seems to be everyones answer. I have noticed it is getting samller but will it ever be flat?? I see plenty of mothers who have kids and then whalla their tummies are flat. Please shed some light on this for me.Thanks for your time.

Answer:

Congratulations on the birth of your son and your commitment to maintaining an exercise program, and healthy diet. Since we lack all the individual information we need to give you specific guidelines, you may wish to read the question `Getting in Shape for the Summer` posted in the Exercise and Fitness area.

As you may be aware, nursing mothers require an extra 600 calories per day in addition to their regular diet. So, keep this in mind when you are fueling yourself throughout the day.

Regarding any type of surgery, I would consult with your OB/Gyn, Dermatologist or primary physician before even considering this option.

Good luck to you, and enjoy your boys!

Getting in Shape for the Summer

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Carolyn   Nickol, RD, MEd Carolyn Nickol, RD, MEd
Director
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley