Exercise and Fitness

Dizzy Symptoms

05/16/2002

Question:

Hi my girlfriend, often gets dizzy symtoms, nausea when exercising in the gym or exerting herself in hot tempretures. She`s 28 years old, 5`7" 128lbs and quite fit(runs 10K twice a week). Symptoms first appeared when she was about 12-13 years old and a national tennis player and doctors put it down as hypoglycemia (blood sugar?) and told her not to exert herself and eat at intervals. No doctor seems to know a long term solution or even have a real diagnoses of the problem, and she still gets these feelings as well as tends to be vunerable to the flu. any ideas ?

Answer:

I am curious if symptoms improve when your girlfriend eats at regular intervals. Has she tried eating a snack prior to exercising? She will need to experiment on what works best for her.

Also, is she properly hydrated? Profuse sweating during exercise-heat stress can lead to dehydration unless adequate replacement fluids are consumed. Even mild dehydration impairs temperature regulation and compromises performance during exercise. Therefore, drinking before, during, and after exercise is necessary.

General guidelines for exercising in the heat and humidity include: 1) Choose clothing which allows for heat loss and sweat evaporation, 2) Reschedule exercise for a cooler time of day, 3) Relocate to shady, breezier site or indoors with fans and air conditioning, and 4) Slow exercise or add rest breaks to maintain the same target heart rate (THR) as normally prescribed.

If her symptoms are interfering with her daily activities, I recommend consulting with her primary physician.

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Carolyn   Nickol, RD, MEd Carolyn Nickol, RD, MEd
Director
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley