Exercise and Fitness

Not losing weight

07/23/2002

Question:

I have recently started to practice a daily 45 minute aerobic exercise routine. It has been a month since I began, and my clothing is looser, I have lost approximately two dress sizes yet my weight has not changed at all. It has become incredibly frustrating and at the same time discouraging to constantly expect some sort of concrete numerical results and be let down every time. What could I do to see these results?

Answer:

Keep in mind that the number on the scale does not take into consideration one`s body composition, which consists of body fat and lean body mass. Muscle weighs more than fat, so the number on the scale may reflect more weight after one becomes involved in a regular exercise program. You have become stronger and healthier. Since you have lost two dress sizes (a concrete result in itself), you have seen one of the positive aspects of a regular exercise program. Other benefits include sleeping better, having more energy throughout the day, and, in general, just feeling better about yourself. A few of the long term benefits of regular exercise include controlling one`s blood pressure and blood cholesterol levels, and lowering one`s risk for chronic diseases. You may wish to review the question "How do I get in shape for the summer" on our exercise and fitness area for information on building a well-rounded fitness routine. 

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Carolyn   Nickol, RD, MEd Carolyn Nickol, RD, MEd
Director
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley