Too much protein in child`s urine

07/15/2002

Question:

I have just return fromt the doctor with my 7 yr old son and was told there is too much protein in his urin. There was an express concern about kidney and infection. Could you please what too much protein means in the urin for a child his age? He has the appreance of someone who is extremely tired. Please help. You can also lead me to web sites that may help. Thank you very much in advance for your assistance.

Answer:

There are many causes for protein in urine. To be of more help I need to know more about your son. Did you take him to the doctor because of his tireness or was it a routine checkup? How long has his tiredness been going on, a day, a week? Is he sleeping O.K.? How many children do you have? Are they all well? Is your home in a city or do you live in a country setting like a farm or near woods? Protein in the urine of your child is most commonly due to infection. The infection could be in the kidney itself, the ureter, the urinary bladder, or the urethra. If it is due to infection it is usually associated with fever and white blood cells found in the urine. Please see the link to the National Institute for diabetes, digestive and kidney diseases. There are several links to protein in the urine. I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if not and I will try again. 

National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases

Philip W Hall, 3rd, MD Philip W Hall, 3rd, MD
Formerly, Professor Emeritus of Medicine