Complementary Medicine

Could Fruit Pectin Help With Stiffness in the Knee?

09/30/2002

Question:

Hi, I am a 44 year old woman who has knee pain. I have been informed by a 70 year old man that he has corrected his knee pain (stiffness, bone cracking) by a daily dose of the product, CERTO, a liquid fruit pectin. As I spoken to more people in my circle of friends I`ve found out that several of them are using the 1 teaspoon of CERTO daily with significant relief over a period of 3-6 months. I would appreciate any medical/alternative information you have on this.

Answer:

Fruit pectin is a complex molecule from the cell walls of all fruit. It has been under scrutiny in the last 5-10 years for its possible effects on cancers. It appears that, at least in rats, pectins can inhibit metastasis of certain cancers (prostate and melanoma have been studied) and inhibit growth of solitary tumors. There haven`t been any published studies on pectins in human cancers, nor in joint pain. Since fruits have a very high antioxidant capability, it`s not surprising that fruit pectin may be helpful in arthritis and other inflammatory conditions. This is one of those cases where "it`s likely to be harmless, and if it may help, try it... -----

Go to the Complementary Medicine health topic, where you can:

Tanya I Edwards, MD, MEd Tanya I Edwards, MD, MEd
Formerly, Associate Professor of Medicine