Child has `worms` in urine

10/16/2002

Question:

My 10 year old daughter has been telling me she sees worms when she pees. I thought it was just discharge or something. She showed me the "worms" today, it was white, tiny, about 3/4 of an inch long. It moved around some and was obviously not just discharge. She has recently started her period, but the "worms" showed up before her period started. She is too embarrassed to go to her doctor with this, but I can not find any information on it to figure out how serious it is. Thanks for any advice you can give us!

Answer:

Without seeing the "worms" it can be difficult to tell you absolutely what they are. When I have seen similar patients in the office, what it turns out to be typically is mucous strands that are actually vaginal discharge (normal for a girl that is beginning her period) that gets into the urine while she is urinating. The movement is typically caused by currents in the liquid rather than any actual movement, but they can be very scary to see. My best advice is, if they are still occurring after her period is over, is to go to your physician, telling her that she only has to urinate into a cup and from that tests can be run to determine the nature of the "worms".

Michael Spigarelli, MD, PhD
Formerly, Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Internal Medicine