Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder

ADD Medication

10/18/2002

Question:

Hello~ Now what is the main medicine used in curing ADHD? And when we take it, is there anything we have to be carefully? Eager for your answer . Thank you very much.

Answer:

There are several medications used to treat ADHD. The ones that usually work the best, and that have a long history of safety in both children and adults when used as directed by one`s physician, are in a category called `stimulants.` Within that category there are more than seven different medications. Some other medications help certain aspects of ADHD but do not accomplish the help with attention that stimulants do. Those are a few different kinds of medications that originally were used only for depression. That does not mean one has to be depressed for them to work---they have other helpful effects as well. Since there are many medications it is hard for me to be specific about what to be careful of. Probably the most important thing is to, at least initially, get them from a physician who works with these medications a lot for ADHD. Then `be careful` to listen to their explanations well and ask questions as they arise. I hope this helps.

Go to the Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder health topic, where you can:

Susan Louisa Montauk, MD
Formerly Professor of Family Medicine