Prostate Cancer

Prostrate Cancer Surgical Options

11/21/2002

Question:

My husband, age 58, has just been diagnosed with prostrate cancer (PSA of 4.2, Gleason count of 6). His urologist has recommended surgery and explained that there are 3 options- abdominal, perineal or laproscopic.

What are the pros and cons of each surgical choice? Will he also require radiation therapy?

Thank you for sharing your expertise!

Answer:

There are pros and cons with all approaches however the end result in treating the cancer is comparable in all. The retropubic uses an abdominal incision and the perineal one behind the scrotum. The laparoscopic approach requires several small abdominal incisions. Perineal probably takes the shortest time to do and the laparoscopic approach the longest. Hospitalization is shortest with the laparoscopic approach and it is the longest by a day or so with the retropubic approach. My suggestion is that you should be guided by the physician in whom you have the most confidence for he/she will be following your husband for many years.

Go to the Prostate Cancer health topic, where you can:

Martin I Resnick, MD Martin I Resnick, MD
Formerly, Professor of Urology