HIV and AIDS

How Should I Care For My Brother Who Is In His Later Stages Of Kaposi Sarcoma?

12/20/2002

Question:

My brother is in the later stages of kaposi sarcoma (affecting his lungs) and is soon coming home to be cared for. Are there any special preparations that can be made to diminish the impact of his immune difficiencies? (Such as avoiding certain cleaning agents or purchasing a water filter)?

Answer:

Sorry for the delayed response. I am also sorry to hear of the illness of your brother. There are no special precautions needed for your brother. If he were to cut himself or bleed then if someone else cleans up the blood they should wear gloves and use regular household bleach. It is okay to share food and drink. Hugging and kissing is safe. In general, the household should be warm and well humidified. If there is central air, you may want to change the filters if this hasn`t been done in a while. Water filters are not necessary since purification is quite good in this area. My thoughts are with you and your brother.

Go to the HIV and AIDS health topic, where you can:

Carl   Fichtenbaum, MD Carl Fichtenbaum, MD
Professor of Clinical Medicine