Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Arthritis and Rheumatism

Hip pain



My 41 year old brother has been having pain in his hip. His symptoms are a sharp pain in the right hip that he can’t walk or sit we were told that it’s due to a vascular necrosis. Also he has liver cirrhosis. Is there any medicine for him since he can`t have a surgery? Can you possibly recommend someone for us to talk to or can you take a personal interest in his case. Thank you.


Early aseptic (or avascular) necrosis of the hip can occasionally be treated with a needle decompression. However, this has to be done early in the course and is a minor surgical procedure. Furthermore, there is no one in this area that performs it. Unfortunately, with the exception of pain pills medications are not effective.

For more information:

Go to the Arthritis and Rheumatism health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Larry   Houk, MD Larry Houk, MD
Professor of Clinical Medicine and Rheumatology
College of Medicine
University of Cincinnati