Complementary Medicine

Information on Life Energy

01/31/2003

Question:

I have heard a lot lately about Life Energy as it relates to holistic and alternative medicine. Can you help me learn more about it or let me know where to go to get more information? I understand some books may have been published several years ago and the topic is now re-emerging. Thank you.

Answer:

Life Energy is a term that has the same connotation as Life Force, or Chi (Chinese philosophy) or Prana (Ayurvedic philosophy). It refers to the energy which comes from the Universe (God or nature are other concepts), and is what is responsible for the perceived difference in the appearance of one who is alive versus one who is dead. It is the foundation for "Energy Healing". In acupuncture, the stimulation of points with needles is felt to stimulate or modulate the flow of this energy which affects health.

Go to the Complementary Medicine health topic, where you can:

Tanya I Edwards, MD, MEd Tanya I Edwards, MD, MEd
Formerly, Associate Professor of Medicine