Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder

Seeking Treatment for ADD

03/03/2003

Question:

I am 27 years old and live in cleveland. I have trying to get treatment for ADD. I can`t seem to find anyone that has a plan or knows what they really doing . I have bounced around numerous places with no resolve. I am extremely frustrated. I feel like i am going to have fight this forever by myself. I done research on the net and looks as if there are no true specialist in this area. I am bright and talented. I underacheive and seem to not be able to take advantage of my capabilites. i am not meeting any of my goals. It takes me at times 3 hours to do an hours worth of work. not because i dont know what i am doing but because i seem to stare it at and can`t really digest the information even though i know exactly what needs to be done. I could go on and on. I need to see someone that is truly a specialist in this field and some that seems to taken back with how to move forward and what to do, I dont know how many more times I need to hear " you are very bright and seem to be a go-getter but I dont understand. I open for anything so I can realize my potential and acheive my goals

Answer:

Although I am in Cincinnati, I do not recall getting to know any specific office in your area whom I could recommend. Often, a great way to locate a local specialist is by contacting a local CHADD or ADDA chapter. There is a listing of a Cleveland contact that you can find if you go to the ADDA web site (see URL below) and search for your city. Unfortunately, on the CHADD web site (see URL below) list of Ohio support groups, Akron is your closest. If you do not find what you are looking for that way, consider a larger geographic radius. If you find a good center to get help it could be well worth the travel. I wish you the best!

Children and Adults with Attention Deficit Disorder
Attention Deficit Disorder Association

Go to the Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder health topic, where you can:

Susan Louisa Montauk, MD
Formerly Professor of Family Medicine