Complementary Medicine

What are the Benefits of Taking Magnesium Daily?

03/07/2003

Question:

Is it okay to take a magnesium supplement (over the counter pills) daily and, if so, how much is recommended? What are the benefits of magnesium supplements?

Answer:

Magnesium supplements are actually good to take daily. We often don`t get enough in our diets. We need between 300-400mg of magnesium per day. Sunflower seeds have about 255mg per half cup! Other good sources are spinach (156mg/cup cooked) and tofu (118mg/4oz). One quarter cup of chocolate chips contains 50mg! Research has shown that magnesium is very important for the heart, blood pressure, and bone health. It also helps insulin work better, which is often a problem in people with obesity, diabetes, polycystic ovaries, hypertension, and high cholesterol. It can help with muscle aches, and can even improve sleep. Check your multivitamin to make sure you are getting enough Magnesium, and TAKE A MULTIVITAMIN DAILY!! 

Go to the Complementary Medicine health topic, where you can:

Tanya I Edwards, MD, MEd Tanya I Edwards, MD, MEd
Formerly, Associate Professor of Medicine